Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Dad

When I talk about my Dad, I am speaking of the man that raised me. He is actually
my maternal grandfather but he rescued me when I was four. He adopted me when
I was six. This is the man my heart calls Dad. I don't remember the man that gave
me half of my DNA. He left when I was two and I never saw him after that. I don't
even have a picture of him. The man my mother married after that was not a nice guy.
I'll just leave that part of my past alone for it has no place here. Let us just say that
I am so grateful my dad got me and my younger brother away from him. Two years
of abuse was enough for a lifetime.

Dad isn't famous and didn't have a fancy job. He has worked hard for most his life.
He raised five children and four of them are some of the finest people you could ever
meet. My mother, well she made some bad choices and she took her own path. He
stepped in when two of his grandchildren were in danger. He took those two children
and raised them as his own. He showed them love and took care of them as best he
could. He worked hard to provide for them. My dad was a steady rock and fortress
when we needed shelter.

My dad showed me the meaning of hard work and standing by your word. He is my
rock. From him, I got a love of animals and the need to take care of people. From
his quiet example, I learned to do my best at everything I do. Family comes first
for him and I have seen him drop everything to help one of his own. My dad is a
quiet man but he loves to tell stories about how things were when he was younger.
He knows every shortcut in town and is almost always early for everything. He loves
to laugh and his blue eyes sparkle when he teases in his gentle way. He is slow to anger
but when he has reached his limit, watch out. His anger usually doesn't last long and
I have never know him to hold a grudge.

He has supported me when I need him and lets me go my own road. I know he is
always there for me. He may not say I love you with words very often, but his actions
speak of his love. He is the one I talk to when I hurt or need advice. No matter how
old I get, he will always be my Daddy. I love him more than mere words can say.
Without him, my world would be empty and cold. He is my compass and guiding
star. He restored my hope in men when I was scared and confused. He earned my
trust with his love and showed me that I could trust people. Dad showed me that life
is not for the weak and that sometimes hope is all you have. Even though life may
break my heart, my dad has shown me how to mend it. He has a quiet dignity that
speaks louder than words. I love him for all he has taught me with his life. I can only
hope that I can be a blessing to others, as he has been to me.

1 comment: