***Disclaimer: I do not own Merlin or any of the Merlin characters. I am merely borrowing
them. This story is for entertainment purposes only, not for profit***
"But Father,why are you being so stubborn about this?" Aurora exclaimed. "So Merlin
is a servant. That doesn't change the man he is. He is kind,caring, funny and lovable. He has
a noble heart and a brave soul. And Grace loves him. You should know that you can't
control who your heart falls in love with. You married beneath you. King Arthur fell in love
with a maid. Are you telling me its alright to fall in love with someone below your station as
long as you are a man. But not if you are a woman. Because that is what it seems like you are
telling me. And that is just wrong."
"Aurora, that is not what I am saying," answered King Thomas as he rubbed his forehead.
"I am saying that Arthur may not accept the idea of his personal servant falling in love with a
princess. Just because he fell in love with his Gwen doesn't mean he is ready to let everyone
marry whoever they wish. From what I hear he generally follows tradition. And letting his
servant marry a princess is not following tradition. I would be happy to welcome Merlin
into our family. He seems like a good man. I am not the one you need to convince."
"And you accept the other matches?" Aurora questioned. "You are fine with me and
Gwaine. And with Charlotte and Percival? No objections? No problems? Even if we all
go to live in Camelot?"
"Of course I don't," King Thomas chuckled. "You know I like Gwaine and was sorry
to see him leave the first time he was here. And Percival is a good knight and fine man.
Even if he is quiet and a bit taller than Charlotte. As long as the care for each other, they
will work that out. And it may be lonely without you here but you can always visit. I could
use some quiet around here anyway. Raising three girl makes for a noisy castle."
"Father!" Aurora exclaimed. "We are not the reason this castle is noisy and you know
it! You'll miss us with only William and your knights for company. I cannot believe you!"
"Peace, daughter," King Thomas laughed. "I was teasing you. I will miss that fire in
you. I have just rediscovered my lovely daughter to lose her. I hope Gwaine know the
handful he is getting in you. And the loyal, loving woman. He better treat you right."
"He does and he will, "Aurora answered as she took her father's hand and smiled at
him. "And I know how lucky I am to have won his heart. That we were given a second
chance at love. We were not ready before. We both had to grow and become the people
we are now. He is my perfect match. Just as Percival is for Charlotte and Merlin for Grace.
All of your daughters will be happy. How many kings can say that?"
"Not many, "King Thomas said with a smile. "All I want is for you and your sisters to be
happy. You could marry a peddler and I wouldn't object as long as he made you happy.
If Arthur agrees to the matches, I will be a very happy man indeed. I hope you can convince
him, my dear daughter. That will be your true challenge I fear. Now sit and keep your old
father company while I still have you here."
Aurora smiled and moved to sit on the arm of his chair. She kissed his cheek and laid
her head briefly on his shoulder. It hit her in that moment that soon she would leave the
only home she had ever known. Sadness filled her but it was chased away by the knowledge
that her place would be with Gwaine. Her home was where he was. A smile came to her
lips as she listened to her father. She would miss him but they would visit often. Her new
life called to her. She smiled and turned her attention to her father with visions of life with
Gwaine dancing in her head. Soon, if Arthur didn't object to Merlin marrying Grace. She
sent a prayer to heaven that he would see reason. Then she turned her full attention to her
father.
No comments:
Post a Comment