***Disclaimer: I do not own Merlin or any of the Merlin characters. I am just
borrowing them. This story is for entertainment purposes only.***
Aurora's grandfather paced the hallway, pausing just outside the door to
Arthur's chambers. He knew that Arthur was still talking with Thomas. He also
knew that Merlin was in Arthur's room, preparing for supper. He had not missed
the spark that flew between the young servant and his eldest granddaughter. At
the time, he had thought nothing of it. After his talk with Aurora, he could think
of nothing else. Had it been magic calling to magic or just youthful hormones?
He had not been able to get close enough to Merlin to tell for sure. Magic had
been in the room but he had to be sure it belonged to Merlin. He did not have
much time. Arthur would be back soon to get ready for the feast. The old
gentleman knocked on the door and entered the room.
The current of magic in the room was strong. The person that wielded it
was a very strong wizard, possibly the strongest he had ever met. His eyes
searched the room, coming to rest on Merlin. The young man stood next to
the bed, laying out Arthur clothes. Merlin gazed back at him with a questioning
look in his eyes. So young to have so much power and ability to control it.
Pure and good, the magic flowed from Merlin in waves. The old man could
not believe he hadn't sensed it more fully before. Old age was dulling his senses.
"I hope I'm not interrupting anything important," Aurora's grandfather said.
Merlin shook his head. ""Good, good. I just came to see if you needed anything.
And to remind you that you will be treated as an equal at dinner tonight. You do
have something to wear, don't you?"
"But I'm just Arthur's servant," Merlin stammered. "I thought I would just eat
in the kitchen. I really don't have anything suitable to wear. I don't think it is wise
for me to dine with you. I have no idea how to act and I might do something
foolish. I wouldn't want to embarrass Arthur."
"Nonsense," the old man replied. "I'll send you something of William's to wear.
You seem to be about the same size. And you will be there as my guest. I'll
need someone to talk to. My son will be busy talking to Arthur. Aurora will be
busy with Gwaine. Grace and Charlotte will be talking to Percival and Leon.
That leaves William and as much as I love my grandson, he is a bore. All he
wants to talk about is baking and cooking. Or flowers and how to run the
castle. Make no mistake, he loves women. But he is just too much in touch with
his feminine side for me. Luckily, his future bride is very in touch with her masculine
side. A match made in heaven, those two. Unless you wish to talk to one of my
granddaughters? Grace perhaps?"
"It would be an honor to keep you company during dinner," Merlin answered.
"I'm not sure what we could talk about though. And as for your granddaughter, she
is lovely but out of my reach. I am merely a servant. A princess would never give
me a second look."
"I saw her give you more than a second look," the old man replied. "She gave
you many looks. And isn't your king's betrothed a maid? My son would not
object if she cared about you. He wants her to be happy. As for what we
could talk about, I have a few ideas. Such as how you manage to keep your
magic hidden from Arthur."
"I don't know what you are talking about," Merlin protested. "I don't have
magic. What a silly idea."
"You know what I am speaking of," the old man replied. "My name is Samuel.
I have magic and Grace has magic. I promise we will keep your secret. I risk
much by telling you this. Do you think I would if I just thought you had magic?
Your magic is the strongest I ever detected in another person. I would almost
say you could be Emrys."
"That is what the Druids call me," Merlin said as he sat in the chair beside the
bed. "How could you tell? I try so hard to keep it hidden. Arthur can't know!
Not yet. He has come so far. Just a little more time and he will lift the ban on
magic. But not yet. I can't get this close just to fail."
"Calm down Merlin," Samuel replied. "Your secret is safe with me. If I
tell Arthur I would have to admit I have magic also. The risk is great for me
also. Now, do you have feelings for Grace? If so, Aurora and I will help you.
Aurora has questioned Grace and she does have feelings for you. Where it
goes from here is up to you. Just know that you have friends to support you."
"I am attracted to her," Merlin admitted shyly. "She is beautiful and when
she smiles it is like the whole room brightens. The whole time she was talking
to Percival, I wished it was me she was talking to. I've never felt like this
about a woman before. I can't think of anything but her. I think I'm going
crazy. And I haven't even talked to her yet."
"I felt the same way when I first met her grandmother," Samuel replied with
a chuckle. "Love does that to you. When you met the other half of your soul,
it is like a bolt of lightening hits you. Your life will never be the same. You
have answered my questions. Leave the rest to me and Aurora. I'll send
someone with clothes for you. If Arthur has any questions, just send for
me. I must go find Aurora and arrange a few things. Be at peace, young
warlock. Things will work out for the best."
Merlin stared after the old man as he left the room. At the sound of the
door closing, he shook his head and rose to his feet. He still wasn't sure
what had just happened. Merlin felt he could trust Samuel with his secret.
One thing was sure, dinner was bound to be interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment