Sunday, March 4, 2012

Night and Darkness

Ah, sweet night. The time when everyone is asleep and I am alone. No TV or radio, just
silence. A time when I can think back over the day. A time of peace and stillness. When
I close my eyes and just sit quietly. It is a time when memories come to visit, some good
and some bad. Hope and doubt do battle, fears and dreams take over my thoughts.

I try to stay positive but at night it is hard to stay out of the dark neighborhoods of my
mind. During the day I can stay upbeat, laughing and joking in the middle of my trials.
But at night, the dark part of my soul yearns to break free. It howls behind the walls I
have placed around it. I cannot deny it because it is a part of me. So for a brief time, I
stop struggling and let it free. How easy it would be to let it control me. I wouldn't have
to worry about being nice and playing well with others. I could just take what I want,
walking over anyone in my path. No more guarding my tongue because I don't wish to
hurt people. I would do what I wanted, when I wanted. What has being nice gotten me?
A whole lot of crushed dreams and nothing. Meanwhile, the rude and uncaring people
get everything they want and wish for. Maybe it's my turn for a change. I'm tired of
being walked on and used. It is time to break free and make my own rules.

I hear the rooster crow and suddenly hope returns. Light shines into the darkness and
goodness floods my soul. The beast within me is once more forced behind the walls.
The gate is slammed firmly behind it and locked securely. I have survived one more
night but who knows when the light will fail? Darkness will win and I will be lost forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment