Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ifs and Should Have Beens- Chapter 9

***Disclaimer: I do not own Merlin or any of the Merlin characters. I am just
      borrowing them. This story is for entertainment purposes only***


     Gwaine knocked on Leon's door and tried to think of what he was going to
say. He hoped he wouldn't mess this up. Aurora had faith in him and he didn't
want to let her down. After waiting for several minutes, Gwaine poked his head
through the door. Leon was not in his room. Now what was he going to do? He
turned to head for Percival's room.

     "Looking for me?" Leon asked with a smile. "You have that look again. What
is on your mind?"

     "Just thought I see how you are," Gwaine replied. "See what you thought of
the princesses. So, either one of them catch your eye? They are both beautiful.
A man would be lucky to marry one of them."

     "Both of them are beautiful," Leon answered. "They seem to be wonderful
girls. If Arthur wishes it, I'll marry either of them. Whatever Arthur wants."

     "Way to be a team player," Gwaine smirked. "Arthur is lucky to have such
a loyal knight. But wouldn't you rather marry someone you loved?"

     "Of course I would," Leon responded. "But if Arthur wants me to, I'll
marry Grace or Charlotte. They are both beautiful and I'm sure I'd come to
love them in time. I don't think they like me too much. I think I bore them."

     "What is that about?" Gwaine asked. "I caught Charlotte hiding a yawn
several times while speaking to you. And Grace looked like she would rather
be in the stocks than talking to you. I've never met a woman you couldn't
charm. Were you trying to bore them to death? What are you up to?"

     "Not really," Leon replied. "But if neither of them fall in love with me,
Arthur won't be forced to ask me to marry one of them. It is not my fault
if they find me dull. I admit I won't be heartbroken. I have no desire to be a
prince. I would much rather stay a knight. And maybe there is someone back
in Camelot I have my eye on."

     "You old dog," Gwaine laughed. "Should have known you were making
yourself boring for a reason. Who is she? Let me guess. Beth from the tavern?"

     "How do you know?" Leon asked. "We have tried to be careful and not let
anyone know. You won't let the others know?" Gwaine shook his head. "Good.
I don't want the other knights to tease her. I never meant to fall in love with her.
We just started talking one night. She is the most amazing woman I have ever
met. She has two young daughters and they are so sweet and adorable. Her
husband was killed in a freak rock slide accident. But he was horrible to her.
Always sneaking off to see other women. He was a horrible ogre of a man.
I would never treat her like that. I can't wait until we are done here and we
can go back to Camelot. I hate being away from her."

     "I see," Gwaine replied. "In that case, I wonder if you'll help me with
something. It might make our stay here shorter. Then you can get back to
Camelot and Beth. I may need some help nudging Percival toward Charlotte.
I think they like each other but won't admit it. Would you help?"

     "Anything for a fellow knight," Leon answered. "I think the same thing. It
may be the height problem. He does tower over her. Maybe he's afraid of
hurting her. He is a mountain of a man. Charlotte did keep glancing over at
him while we were talking. I think they would go good together."

     "Let me go talk to him," Gwaine said. "I need to see if my hunch is right.
We'll see where to go from there. Not a word of this to anyone. Ok?"

     Leon nodded, a huge smile on his face. Gwaine grinned back and walked
out the door. Now he had to find Percival. He hoped he was in his room.
The thought of another conversation in the hall was daunting. At least he
could sit in Percival's room. Time was passing quickly. He hurried down
the hall to Percival's room.

No comments:

Post a Comment