Wednesday, March 7, 2012

To Save Avalon

     The full moon shone through the window to lightly caress the small red-headed baby
that lay in the wooden cradle. Freckles danced across her face and her tiny nose crinkled
as she dreamed of far away places and times of legend. A tall sandy-haired man stared
down at the child as a woman with long straight ebony hair peered over his shoulder. A
look of longing passed over her face as she sighed. The man turned and folded her into
his arms. He placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head.

     "I know this is hard for you, Marian, but it is hard for me also. I am her father after all.
A mother's love is strong, but so is a father's. This is the only way. Avalon will fall and we
will fade from this world if she fails. Do you want that?"

     "Of course I don't want that, Robin," the woman cried. "Why now and why our
daughter? We have lived on Avalon for centuries without fear. All of mankind can't forget
us overnight, can they? I think Merlin is just over-reacting as usual. What can I baby do
to stop them from forgetting us?"

     A great clap of thunder echoed in the room and an ancient man appeared from out
of nowhere. The air crackled with electricity as he lowered his wooden staff to his
side. His tall pointed hat's brim was cocked at a rakish angle and his powder blue robes
swirled around him.

     "We have gone over this many times, Marian," he said in a powerful yet soothing
voice. "Your daughter was not the only child to be sent here. Arthur and Gwen's
daughter is here, as is Lance's son. My own son and daughter are with two different
families. The children of countless heroes have been placed here to fight the evil that
is to come. Morgan is gathering her forces and we must be prepared for her. Her
hatred is strong and it will take all of our power to stop her. We live on Avalon only
as long as we are remembered. If they forget us and stop believing in us, we will fade
away. And we can never come back, even if they remember the stories. That's all
they will be, stories to entertain each other with. We cannot let that happen."

     "But how will they know what to do?" Marian asked. "They are all alone here.
There is nobody to teach them. Who will protect them? Morgan will surely uncover
their existence and send someone to kill them. Are we just sending them to their deaths?"

     "You forget that this is not my first time fighting Morgan," Merlin replied with a
small smile. "I have learned not to underestimate her. Your child is surrounded by my
strongest spells and she has many powerful unseen guardians protecting her. I have not
sent your children to be slaughtered. They will be the bards of this generation. They will
tell the untold tales. The stories that have been forgotten."

     "I share your fears, my love," Robin said. "I feel Merlin is right. Morgan is fighting
to erase us completely. If our children can fight her, we must trust Merlin to protect
them. He is wise and more powerful than we are. Let us return to Avalon."

     "Can we return to see her?" Marian asked Merlin. "Just to ease my fears and see
how she fares?"

     "When she is sleeping," Merlin replied. "I have other ways for you to see your
daughter. I have placed her with good people. She will grow up in a happy and safe
home. Do not fear, I promise to keep her safe. Not a hair on her head will be harmed."

     Marian nodded and placed a kiss on her daughter's forehead. A glowing door
appeared in the middle of the room. She grasped Robin's hand and went through it
into Avalon. The door disappeared and Merlin gazed down at the infant in the cradle.
A soft smile came to his lips.

     "Our hope lies with you, little one," he murmured. "I will do all I can to keep you safe
until the times comes for you to fight Morgan. Your life will be happy. I do vow that you
will be safe. No one will be allowed to harm you. Until next time, my dear one."

     With a flash of light he was gone. The child opened her pale blue eyes. This life was
going to interesting to say the least. Her eyes closed and a smile darted across her lips as
she drifted to sleep. Her journey had begun.

2 comments: