Disclaimer: I do not own the Merlin characters, I merely borrowed them. This is just for
entertainment, this story is not for profit.
"Arthur, what kind of clothes do you need to take to Tameria?" Merlin asked as he dug through
Arthur's wardrobe. "I have never heard of it before. What is the weather like this time of year? Is it
warm or cold? Does it rain a lot or is it always sunny? Will there be snow? So many options and I
really need to know so I can pack."
"Calm down, Merlin," Arthur replied. "I've never been there myself. All I have to go by are the
stories my father told me. King Thomas helped him to win Camelot. My father rewarded him with
the kingdom to the east of Tameria. It doubled his lands. King Thomas used to visit often when I
was a child but stopped after his wife died in childbirth. They say her death left him a broken man."
"He didn't look too broken when I saw him," Gwaine remarked as he walked into Arthur's
chambers. "Maybe distracted and full of himself, but not broken. And the weather is very nice this
time of year. Somewhat cold at night but mild and sunny during the day. The rainy season is still a
month or so away. That should help you with your packing Merlin. Arthur, why are we going to
Tameria? It takes a week and a half to get there and there is nothing to do when you get there.
Very boring place."
"Meaning that there are no taverns," Arthur wryly grinned. "I am going to renew and bolster
old ties. King Thomas was a good friend to my father and he could be a valuable ally to me. It
never hurts to have allies and his kingdom is on the coast and could be strategic in the future."
"I don't see why you feel you have to take most of your knights along," Gwaine sulkily replied.
"You don't need all of us. You can make do with Leon and Percival. Let me stay behind with
Elyan. He could use my help. What if something happens while you are away? Elyan will need my
help. I sense that there is something you are not telling us. You have a hidden agenda."
"Elyan will be fine," Arthur said firmly. He has plenty of knights he can call on for help. I merely
wish for King Thomas to see that I have fine and loyal knights at my disposal. You, Leon and
Percival are the best examples of this. I don't know why you would think I have a hidden agenda."
"It wouldn't have to do with King Thomas' three daughters?" Gwaine asked as he searched
Arthur's face. "Three of your best knights and three daughters? What better way to make an ally
than to make a marriage between one of them and one of your knights? Would you use us in such
a way? I should have known! You can't trust a noble!"
"Now, Gwaine," Merlin said soothingly as he emerged from the wardrobe. "I'm sure Arthur
would never do anything like that. He knows what it is like to be used as a bargaining chip. Arthur
respects his knights too much to use them in such a way. Isn't that right, Arthur?"
"Well," Arthur replied as he looked at the floor. "Percival and Leon are open to the idea. And
I was going to talk to you about it on the ride there, Gwaine. The princesses are said to be quite
lovely and well-mannered. They would be a good catch for any man. Nothing is definite. This visit
is just so you can meet them and get to know them. If any of you like each other, then things can
proceed from there."
"I have already met them," Gwaine replied angrily. "Grace and Charlotte are beautiful and lovely.
Leon and Percival would be lucky to have either one of them. They are too tame for me. As for
Princess Aurora, it will take a far better man than me to win her heart. I ask again to remain behind
with Elyan."
"You have never wanted to stay behind before," Arthur remarked with amusement. "What
happened when you were in Tameria? You never said why you were there in the first place. There
is something you don't want us to know."
"I helped King Thomas with some bandits," Gwaine replied defensively. "I was passing through
and he needed help. I had nothing better to do and needed some money. They had a tournament
after the bandits were caught and I won it. King Thomas gave me some gold as a reward and I left
shortly after that. End of story. It was over two years ago.They most likely don't even remember me."
"Somehow, I doubt that," Arthur said as he walked to the door. "But if that is your story, so be it.
I will not press you for more details. You will be coming to Tameria and that is an order. Case
closed. Now, I am going to see Gwen. She will be staying behind as she is still feeling weak from
the fever that passed through Camelot last week. Luckily, Gaius was able to treat everyone and
no-one died. You're coming with me, Gwaine, if I have to knock you out and tie you to your horse.
That's my final word."
Gwaine sighed and sat in one of the chairs at the table. He shook his head and then ran his
hand across his brow. He did not wish to go back to Tameria. Not now, not ever. His pride was
still wounded from his parting with Aurora. That woman had a way of striking a person's very
soul.
"Gwaine, what is wrong?" Merlin asked as he crossed the room and sat across from Gwaine.
"I've never seen you like this. Why don't you want to go back to Tameria? It couldn't have been
that bad."
"Merlin, if I tell you, this does not leave this room," Gwaine replied in a low voice. "You tell
Arthur none of this." Merlin nodded affirmatively. "I did help King Thomas fight and capture some
bandits that had been plaguing his kingdom. And I did win the tournament that was held after we
caught them. What I didn't tell Arthur was that I almost lost the tournament to Princess Aurora."
Merlin made a sound of disbelief. "I didn't know it was her at first. Only after I had knocked her
down and heard her gasp, did I know it was her. There were rumors that she trained with the
knights, but I did not believe them. I think the whole kingdom but her father and brother knows.
The knights pretend they don't know that it is her for her sake.And I can tell you that she fights
better than her brother. He was no challenge at all. I defeated him in a matter of minutes. Aurora
was my last opponent. I have seen very few people handle a sword like she does. I was very
hard pressed to beat her. If she had not tripped and fallen, I think she could have won.
"You don't wish to go back because she almost beat you?" Merlin questioned. "But you sound
like you admire her. She sounds like someone that you would respect. I don't think that is the
reason you wish to avoid Tameria. What are you not telling me?"
"Just give me a moment," Gwaine replied in an exasperated voice. "I was sitting in my tent after
the tournament, trying to process what had just happened. It was plain that she was hiding who she
was. She fought using the name Rormand of Asgaut. As I tried to solve this puzzle, the flap to the
tent was opened and she stepped in. She took off her helmet and thanked me for not betraying her
secret to her father. I asked her why she hid who she was and she told me that her father would
banish her if he found out. We talked for a long time about many things. She told me about how
lonely she was and how her father acted like she didn't exist. We talked about how she trained
with the knights and how she loved fighting.Aurora is very intelligent and loves to read. She is also
a great storyteller and she had me laughing for most of the time we talked. By the time she left, I
could tell I was falling for her. She was everything I wished for.She was pretty, smart, funny, a
fighter. You don't find many women like her."
"So what happened," Merlin asked, leaning forward in his chair. "Did her father find out about
you and run you out of the kingdom? Did he disapprove of you? Did you argue with Aurora?
What happened?"
"I don't really know what happened," Gwaine solemnly answered. "After the tournament, King
Thomas invited me to stay in the castle as his honored guest. He introduced me to his daughters
and his son. Grace and Charlotte are very beautiful and would make excellent wives for Leon and
Percival but they don't hold a candle to Aurora. Her red hair shines in the sun and her eyes flash
with laughter. We spent many happy days together. We walked in the woods, rode horses, talked
and just enjoyed each other's company. We even fought each other when her father was out of
sight. She taught me that trick of how to relieve a man of his sword. After a few weeks, I felt the
need to move on. I asked Aurora if she'd marry me and come with me. She must have thought I
was joking because she laughed at me. Then she saw I was serious and told me that she was sorry
but she couldn't. I beg her and she still refused. I kept asking her why and she just shook her head.
I demanded an answer and she told me that I wasn't old enough for her. She told me that I was a
foolish boy that hadn't fully grown up yet. Then she turned and ran from me. She broke my heart
and then ran away. I left that night and told myself that I would never return."
"If you told Arthur, I'm sure he would understand," Merlin softly said. "He respects you too
much to ask you to go back there. You just need to explain to him."
"No, Merlin!" Gwaine shouted. "I don't want anyone but you to know. How could the other
knights respect me if they knew? You are my closest friend and I know you won't think any less
of me. If I had been a knight back then, I could have gone and asked her father for her hand. But
I was a nobody and a coward. I should have fought for her but I turned and ran. She was right.
I wasn't worthy of her."
"But you are a knight now," Merlin replied. "You can ask King Thomas for her hand. After all
you have been through, surely you are worthy of her. Any woman would be glad if you wanted her
for your wife."
"But I only want Aurora," Gwaine said sadly. "I don't know if I'll ever be worthy of her. I doubt
any man could be worthy of her. I have to go pack. And not a word of this to anyone. Not to Gaius
or Gwen. No one, understand? I see you in the morning."
Gwaine left the room, leaving Merlin sitting at the table. He felt sorry for his friend. Merlin couldn't
see how any woman could not love Gwaine. He made up his mind to help him if he could. He rose
from the table to finish packing Arthur's clothes. This trip was going to be very interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment