Saturday, February 25, 2012

Ifs and Should Have Beens-Chapter 5

**** I do not own Merlin or any of the characters from Merlin. This story is strictly for
         entertainment, not for profit****

     Gwaine took a deep breath and tried to collect his racing thoughts as the guard
announced his arrival to King Thomas. Arthur, Merlin and the other knights were still a
day's ride from Tameria. Arthur had been surprised when he asked to ride ahead and tell
King Thomas that they were close but had granted his consent with a wry grin. The guard
returned and motioned for Gwaine to enter the throne room. Gwaine was startled to see
Aurora standing by her father's side. She smiled at him, radiant with an inner peace that she
had not possessed the last time he saw her. 

     "Welcome Gwaine," Aurora said with laughter in her voice. "Or should I say Sir Gwaine?
Your status has improved since we last met. That makes me wonder what else has changed
about you. I never thought you wished to become a knight. I sense much has changed."

     "My becoming a knight is one of the things I wish to speak with your father about,"
Gwaine replied solemnly. "Arthur and the other knights will be here tomorrow. If we may
speak in private, King Thomas? There are delicate matters I need to discuss with you."

     "You may say what you wish in front of my daughter," King Thomas answered. "I have
come to understand that the two of you know each other much better than I thought."

     "We talked often when I was here before," Gwaine said with shock and concern warring
in his eyes. "I may have kissed her hand a few times but nothing more serious than that. I
hope that you don't think that I tried to harm her or force myself on her. I would never-"

     "Calm yourself," Aurora interrupted. "He is just having some fun with you. My father and
I recently had a nice long talk. We are finally where we should have been for so long. He
knows about my training with his knights and has allowed me to continue as before. We
are closer than we have ever been. We talk every day now. He even asks my oppinion on
matters of state. He even knows what a fool I was the last time you were here."

     "You were not a fool," Gwaine replied with a shake of his head. "I was the fool. Asking
you to leave all of this behind and run away with me. I had nothing to give you and no idea
how I was going to make a living. I was crazy to think that you would follow me as I went
from village to village. That's no way to live. You were right. I needed to grow up."

    "Oh Gwaine," Aurora said softly as she crossed to him and took his hand. "I was a fool
for saying that. I was scared and confused. In my heart, I loved you. But I was scared of
being hurt. You gave me your heart and I tossed it back at you. Please forgive me. I have
regretted that every moment since you have been gone. I was such a little idiot."

     "No," Gwaine answered, tilting her head up so he could look into her eyes. "You
were right. I was not worthy of you then. I can only hope that you find me worthy now."

     He claimed her lips in a soft gentle kiss. Aurora threw her arms around his neck and
pulled him closer. They stayed locked in their embrace for several minutes, neither
wanting the kiss to end. Finally, King Thomas cleared his throat and they sprang apart.

     "I believe you had some things to discuss with me," he said as he gazed at Gwaine.
"What are they? Do any of them concern my daughter?"

     "We will have to talk of that later," Gwaine replied. "King Arthur does not know who
my father was. He believes I am just a drifter that is good with a sword. I wanted to ask
you not to tell him. I earned my knighthood by serving him loyally. I don't wish my past to
be dragged into it. Maybe one day I will tell him, but for now I want things to remain as
they are. Would you grant me the boon of not telling him?

     "Of course," King Thomas answered. "But I don't understand why you don't want him
to know. Your father was a great man and wonderful knight. You should be proud of that.
You shouldn't feel the need to hide who you are."

     "Father," Aurora said softly. "Gwaine has his reasons. We must respect them. We will
keep your secret Gwaine. When and if you tell King Arthur is up to you. Is there anything
else you wish to ask?"

     "Not right now," Gwaine replied as he stared into her eyes. "The rest can keep until
morning. I have ridden far today and I find myself in need of a bed. Is there one here
or shall I go to the inn?"

     "You silly man," Aurora laughed as she swatted Gwaine's arm. "Of course there is
a room ready for you. Is it alright for me to show him where it is?"

      Her father nodded with a smile. She smiled back and placed her arm in Gwaine's.
Talking together and laughing, they exited the room, already lost in a world of their own.
King Thomas shook his head and laughed. It appeared as if his youngest daughter had
made her choice. Now if only the other two would be so easy to please.

No comments:

Post a Comment