Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Dad is a Werewolf?

***This is a work of fiction. Some of the details may be taken from real life.
       I had a very vivid imagination as a child and unfortunately my poor brother
       was the victim of that. I'll leave it up to you to decide what is real and what
        is just part of the story. But this mostly fiction and I hope you like it***


The two children stood beside the queen-sized bed, staring down at the sleeping man. His
short greying hair stood out against his tan skin. His lips were slightly open, showing large
white teeth. Loud snores came from his nose as he breathed deeply. He slowly turned on
his side to face the children and they stepped back in fear that he would wake up. A small
sleep sigh escaped his lips and the children crept back closer to the bed.

"He's a werewolf," the girl whispered softly. "Look at the hair in his ears. And on the back
of his hands. He always sleeps during the day and he is never here at night. That's when he
goes looking for people to eat."

"Dad is not a werewolf," the boy replied in a hushed voice. "He's too nice to be a werewolf.
"He works at night. That's why he's never home. And Mom will tell us if he was a werewolf.
She'd never leave us alone with him if she thought he would eat us."

"You're only seven," the girl shot back. "What do you know? And maybe she doesn't know.
You don't really think he'd tell her about it, do you? Besides, I'm nine and I know a lot more
than you do. His job is just a cover for when the moon is full and he has to hunt."

"Then where does Dad get money from?" the boy asked. "Mom is here all day watching
us. She's doesn't have a job and if Dad is a werewolf, then where do they get the money
for food and stuff?"

"He does work at night," his sister replied as she rolled her eyes at him. "But he doesn't
go to work on the nights when there is a full moon. He calls in sick on those nights. Jeez,
try to think for once in your life. No wonder it was so easy for me to sell you to gypsies."

"You did not sell me to gypsies!" the boy exclaimed. "I asked her and she said you didn't.
You just made that up. And there are no gypsies in North Carolina!"

"Of course she's gonna say that," she replied. "She doesn't want to admit that she never
noticed you were gone. You were only four when I did it so you've forgotten all about
it. They were part of this real little fair that came through. A few days after we went to it,
you were really getting on my nerves. You were being your normal bratty self  and I
wished there was a way to get rid of you. Then, as if by magic, the gypsy caravan went
by the house. I ran after them and asked if they could use a smart and hard-working
little boy to train to help them in the fair. Well, they did and I ran back here to get you.
They offered you some candy and you were happy to go with them. I went back in the
house and Mom asked where you were. I told her you were playing in the front yard and
I had come back in to get a book. She was busy watching her soaps and told me to get
back out there and watch you. I went back out with my book and read it under the maple
tree. It was so peaceful with you gone. Then after about two hours, the gypsies came back
with you. You had thrown one of your fits and tore one of the carts apart. You really did
a number on it. They begged me to take you back. I said I just couldn't and that Mom was
happy with one less mouth to feed. Then they offered to pay me to take you back. I
hemmed and hawed about but agreed to take you back for a hundred dollars. Man, they
really laid tracks after getting rid of you."

"I still don't think Mom lied to me," he said hesitantly, unsure if she was telling the truth.
"She had to know I was gone. I was gone for two hours. And I would have told her."

 "We've gone over this before," the girl said with a sigh. "Mom was watching her soaps.
The house could burn down around her and she wouldn't notice while they are on. And
I gave you more candy and made you promise not to tell. Besides, you went with them
willingly. End of story. We are getting off track here. This is about Dad and the fact that
he is a werewolf. This is very important. What are we going to do?"

"I still don't think he is a werewolf," the boy said as he looked at the sleeping man. "Dad
is too nice. And he always gets us treats and takes us places. I don't think a werewolf
would do that. A werewolf would just eat us."

"You really don't know anything," the girl answered with a snort. "He's getting us to trust
him. Then it will be easier for him to catch us when he is ready to eat us. He won't have
to chase us because we trust him."

The bedroom door opened suddenly. The children sprang apart as a short black-headed
woman walked into the room. They shot guilty looks at the bed and turned to face her.
Quickly they tried to look innocent as she stared at them.

"What are you two doing in here?" the woman hissed. "I told you to stay out of this room
when your father is sleeping. He works hard to put a roof over your head and food on
the table. He needs his sleep. Now get out of here before I tan both of your behinds."

The children fled from the room. The woman gazed at her husband and pulled the blanket
over him. She placed a loving kiss on his forehead. Then she turned and left the room,
closing the door shut behind her.

No comments:

Post a Comment