***This is dedicated to TeamMerthur. I made a promise and I always try to keep my
promises. I hope you enjoy it and thank you for always being there for me. As always,
I do not own Merlin or any of the characters. This story is just for entertainment, not
for profit. Sorry Gwen, but a promise is a promise. ***
Morgana crept into Gwen's chambers and closed the door softly behind her. She
walked swiftly to the table beside the bed. Reaching into the folds of her blood-red cape,
she withdrew a bottle of wine and a note. Placing them on the table, she pulled a small
bottle out of her pocket and removed the lid. She placed the lid on the table, along with
the bottle. Picking up the wine bottle, she deftly removed the cork. She exchanged the
cork for the small bottle on the table. Carefully, she poured the contents of the small
bottle into the wine bottle. Replacing the cork firmly in the wine bottle, she shook the
bottle up and down to help the poison blend with the wine. She smirked and put the
wine on the table. Pocketing the small bottle, she then turned and picked up the note.
"My dearest Gwen," the note read. "I hope you enjoy this wine that I picked for you.
It is a sweet and subtle wine that has just a hint of strawberries to it. It reminds me of
your kisses. Please drink a glass before you go to sleep, as I shall do the same. All my
love, Arthur."
"The poor girl won't be able to help herself," Morgana smugly thought to herself.
"After all the trouble she and Arthur have had in their romance, she will be overjoyed at
this sign of his love. This has to work. Having Arthur find her with Lancelot went nowhere.
And turning her into a deer was a disaster. I cannot have her be Camelot's Queen when
the throne belongs to me. I may have hardened Arthur's heart toward her for a short
time, but he is already falling back in love with her. Curse her! And curse that meddling
Merlin! I know he speaks for her. If only he didn't spend so much time with Arthur, I
would take care of him also."
Footsteps echoed in the hallway and Morgana hurried to hide under the bed. Gwen
entered the room and went behind the screen to change into her nightgown. She took
her time, humming to herself all the while. Morgana rolled her eyes and willed Gwen to
hurry up. Finally, Gwen emerged from behind the screen. She walked to her bed and
paused when she saw the wine. She frowned in puzzlement as she picked up the letter.
Her frown turned into a radiant smile as she read the words on the paper.
"Oh, Arthur," Gwen sighed as she picked up a goblet that was on the table. "At last,
your heart is softening toward me. Of course I will drink some of this wine before bed.
Maybe we will be drinking at the same time. I only hope this is a sign of better times."
Morgana had to force herself not to laugh at Gwen's words. "For me, perhaps," she
thought to herself as Gwen poured the wine and drank. Placing the cup on the table,
Gwen pulled back the covers and got into bed. Time seemed to stop for Morgana as
she waited for the poison to take effect. After several long and agonizing minutes, she
heard strangled grunts and muffled screams coming from the bed. The whole bed shook
as Gwen suffered her death throes. Morgana scrambled from under the bed and stood
gazing at Gwen's convulsing body. Tears ran down Gwen's terror filled face. Morgana
smiled cruelly as Gwen began to turn purple. Gwen's eyes landed on Morgana and she
fought to scream but to no avail. Morgana laughed softly as recognition and horror filled
Gwen's eyes as Gwen felt her life leave her body. Finally, Gwen was still, her open eyes
fixed on her killer. Morgana smirked to herself in victory.
Morgana leaned over and closed Gwen's eyelids. She rearranged the bedclothes and
moved Gwen into a position that mocked sleep. Looking around, she removed the note
she had left for Gwen and replaced it with another. Quickly, she gathered her cloak and
left the room. Her only regret was that she would not see her brother's face when he
found his beloved Gwen in the morning.
"My dearest Arthur," the note read. "I cannot take it any longer. The shame I feel over
betraying you has become to much to bear. The loss of your love has broke my heart and
I have brought shame to you and Camelot. I know now that I can never regain your love
or trust. I blame myself for this and so I have chosen to end my life. I only ask that you
look after my brother and do not shun him for the actions of his foolish sister. What we
had together was real and true but I tossed it all away. I hope that one day you will be able
to forgive me. I know you will be a great and wonderful King, but you cannot do that with
me by your side. Please have a good life. The woman that you choose as your Queen will
be very lucky. I love you, Gwen."
This simple slip of paper lay innocently on the table. It would be the source of great
mourning and sorrow. But it would not be the end of Arthur's tale. Or that of the steadfast
friend and powerful sorcerer that stood beside him. That sorcerer's name? Merlin.
No comments:
Post a Comment