Saturday, February 4, 2012

Ifs and Should Have Beens- Chapter 1

     "But why can't I be a knight?" the young woman exclaimed as she paced back and forth. "It just
isn't fair! I know how to use a sword. I have beaten half of the knights at single combat. Of course,
they didn't know who I was or that I was a girl. I still beat them, fair and square. When they fight
William, they let him win half the time because he is the heir to the throne. I just don't see why I
cannot be a knight!"

     "Because you are a princess," the old man replied. "You are a woman. No woman has ever been
allowed to become a knight. It simply is not done. Your father would never allow it. One knight in
the family is enough."

     "Just because I'm female," she replied as she spun on her heel. The skirts of her green velvet gown
swirled around her gold slipper encased feet. Her grey eyes danced with fury and her red hair shone
in the candlelight. "My mother would have fought for me. She trained half of the knights in my father's
army. Without her, he wouldn't have an army. He may be good at strategy, but he can't handle a
sword to save his life. The knights still tell tales of her bravery and courage."

     "And your father didn't make her a knight," he said wearily. "Why should he make you one? He
doesn't know that you train with the knights. When he sees you with them, he thinks you are one of
the squires. If he knew what you were doing, he would lock you in your room until you were married."

     "He cares nothing about me," she retorted. "I am the reason he lost his beloved wife. She died
giving birth to me. He blames me for killing her and for not being the son he wanted. The only worth I
have in his eyes is the alliance I can bring him with my marriage. He cannot bear to look at me
and avoids me when he can. I don't blame him. I'm ugly and bring him nothing but grief."

     "Is that what you really think?" the man asked as he raised her chin so he could look in her eyes.
"Your father is one of the biggest idiots in the world. How can you ever think he feels that way about
you? What has he done to make you feel this way? What has he said?"

     "He hardly speaks to me," she replied in a soft voice. "When he does, he never looks me in the
eye. He looks over my head or out the window. He only talks about possible matches for me or
about how I need to be more like my sisters. Sometimes it seems like he is talking to someone else.
He never asks how I am or what I've been up to. When we are done, he pats me on the head like
I am a child and sends me away."

      "You are not Grace or Charlotte," he said softly. "They are both lovely young women but he
should not compare you to each other. You are Aurora and only you can be Aurora, just as only
Grace can be Grace and only Charlotte can be Charlotte. They are both beautiful and charming
but so are you. I know your father loves you, he just does not know how to show it. I can't believe
he knows how he makes you feel. Ever since your mother died he walks around like he is in a daze.
A part of him died with her. But he needs to remember that he has four children that need him to be
their father."

     "Where are you going?" she asked as he moved to the door. "You can't tell him what I told you!
He will be angry with me! He'll lock me in this room until my wedding! Nobody questions him.
He is the King! The King can do whatever he wishes."

     "But I am his father," he answered as he opened the door. "If anyone can or should talk some
sense into him, it will be be. I should have done this a very long time ago. If he doesn't listen to me,
I will just have to take back the throne. I gave it to him and I can take it away. Do not worry. I
know how to talk to him. I just hope I can repair some of the damage my silence has caused."

     With that, he walked through the door and closed it behind him. Aurora walked over to the chair
beside the fireplace and collapsed into it. She dropped her head into her hands and began to cry. She
hoped her grandfather wouldn't make her father angry. When he was angry the whole castle bore the
brunt of his wrath. Deep inside her, a spark of hope sprang to life. Maybe her father could be made
to see reason. She would give anything for him to love her as a father should love a daughter. Hope
and fear warred in her stomach. If anyone could make her father love her it would be her grandfather.
She hoped she wouldn't have to wait too long for answers.



****Please let me know how you like this tale and if I should continue. Aurora is a favorite character
        of mine and I would love to tell you her story.

2 comments:

  1. Ah I love the way you write <3 I'd love to read more :) Keep writing the way you do! I can't explain why but I just love your style <3 x

    ReplyDelete