Sunday, February 19, 2012

Kidnapping Gwaine

***This story is in honour of Eoin Macken's birthday. I can't draw or sing. And I've never
      been good at writing poems so here is this silly little story. Gwaine has always been my
      favorite of the Camelot Knights and Eoin brings an interesting and entertaining take on
      the character. As always, I do not own Merlin or any of the Merlin characters. This
      story is not for profit, it is just for entertainment. I hope you enjoy and comment***



     "I still don't think this is a good idea," the young woman hissed to her six companions as
they lurked in the alleyway. "Surely there must be some other way to do this. I don't think
Sir Gwaine is going to be very happy with us."

     "Of course he's not going to be happy with us," the oldest, and shortest, of the seven
answered back. "We are basically kidnapping him. I know very few men that like to be
kidnapped, even if it is by seven lovely ladies. That's why we must make sure he's tied
up tight. And make sure we take all of his weapons. We've tried to get him alone but one
of the other knights is always with him. You know the Knight of Darkness said that Sir
Gwaine must come alone. And you know what will happen if he doesn't. We are just
lucky we managed to talk to Merlin and get him to help us. Now you three grab the other
end of this rope and run across the street to that other alley. When you hear Merlin, you
know what to do."

     Three of the young women grabbed the rope and scurried across the street. They let
the rope lie limp in the middle of the street. Each moment that passed was agony. Finally,
after what seemed like an eternity, they heard whistling and two men's voices. With their
eyes focused on the rope, they strained to hear the voices as they came closer.

     "This isn't the way to my quarters," Gwaine said in a slurred voice. "I don't know this
part of Camelot. Where are you taking me, Merlin?"

     "We are going the back way," Merlin replied as he rearranged Gwaine's arm around
his neck. "Remember Arthur telling you that if he saw you this drunk again he'd put you
in the stocks to learn your lesson? The other way passes right under Arthur's window. I
just don't want him to look out and see you. That's why we are taking this route."

     The two stumble on for a few paces before they come to the two alleys. Merlin eases
Gwaine's arm from around his neck. "Now!" Merlin shouts as he pushes his friend forward.
The rope is jerked tight, effectively tripping Gwaine. The seven young women hurriedly
wrap the rope around the now unconscious knight, quickly tying him up. They surround his
body and acting together, they move him into an abandoned house nearby. Once inside,
they securely tie Gwaine to a sturdy chair as Merlin hovers close by. They settle in to wait
from Gwaine to wake up. Slowly he comes to and stares around in confusion.

     "What the hell just happened?" Gwaine yelled as he struggled to free himself. He sees
Merlin and the seven young ladies staring at him from across the room. "Merlin! What is
the meaning of this? And who are they? Did you help them do this?"

     "Yes, I did," Merlin firmly answered. "You know I'm your friend. I would never let
anyone harm you but they have tried to get you alone and failed. These are good people
and they need your help. I vouch for them, Gwaine. I give you my word that they just
need your help. I know Tamsin from my village.we used to play together when we were
younger. She moved and her village desperately needs your help."

     "Please, Sir Gwaine," a dusky skinned woman with long black hair came forth. "We
tried to get you alone but one of the other knights was always with you."

      "We would never try to harm you," the youngest said as she came to stand by her
friend. Her long blond hair shone in the candlelight and her face was that of an cherub.

     "We couldn't go to Arthur," a tall dark haired beauty said as she stepped forward.
"It was forbidden by the Knight of Darkness." Her blue eyes glistened with tears.

     "He holds our village hostage," said the woman with sandy-blond hair and sky-
blue eyes as she moved to stand beside the others.

     "All of our mothers and the little children will be killed if you don't come," said a woman
with dark hair and  a warm caring face as she took her place in the line of women.

     "If you don't help us, nobody can," said a woman with long auburn hair as her grey-blue
eyes pleaded with Gwaine. He looked down as the plea in those eyes touched his heart.
Raising his head, his eyes were drawn to the petite woman standing next to Merlin. She
lifted her head, her steel grey eyes boring into him. The woman tossed her shoulder lenght
brown hair defiantly. Her gaze softened as she stared at the other women and she came to
stand in front of the chair that Gwaine was tied to. She bowed her head humbly.

     "They have told you most of our story," she said softly. "We come from a small village
two days ride from here. Every year at this time, the men go to the coast to trade with a
village there. They are gone for about a month. It has been two weeks since they left. Five
days ago, while we slept, the Knight of Darkness came with his men and captured us. He
has gathered all the children together in one house. All the old women are in another. So
far, he has not let any of his men touch any of the young women. He said that he will let
the village go if we came to Camelot and delievered a challenge to Sir Gwaine. If you can
defeat him, everyone will go free. If you do not come in three days time, he will kill all of
us. And he said to tell you that we would suffer before we died. Suffer as only women can
at the hands of a man. You are to come alone or he will kill the children. Nobody-else
can know about this or we are all doomed. Please, Sir Gwaine, help us."

     Gwaine looked at the seven women. Even though they had gone about asking for his
help in the wrong way, he could not deny them. Their fear and pain pierced his heart and
he knew that he would fight to the death to free their village. His eyes met those of the
fiery woman that was clearly the leader. He nodded his consent and she moved behind
the chair to cut him free. She offered her hand to him to seal their bargin. Gwaine took
her small hand in his and knelt before her.

     "I pledge to do my best to free your village," he solemnly promised. "If your village
is two days ride from here and we must be there in three days, we must get moving.
Do you have the supplies we need to get there?" The woman nodded. "Good. Do you
wish to wait until morning or can you ride now?"

      "We are ready to ride," she replied. "But are you ready? Do you need to rest before
our journey? We can spare a few hours."

     "I've ridden in worse shape than this, " Gwaine said with a laugh. "I can get rest on the
road. Merlin make my excuses to Arthur. I'm sure you'll come up with something good,
you always do." Merlin nodded in answer. "Now ladies let us go save your village."

      The journey to the village was uneventful. Gwaine passed the time in conversation
with the seven women. They were all fasinating and witty. Most of the trip was passed
in laughter. The closer to village they got, the ladies became more nervous and withdrawn.
Finally, they reached the tiny village that lay nestled deep in the heart of the forrest.

     A massive knight, riding an impressive black horse, blocked the way into the village.
He carried a huge mace and his armour was black as midnight. His horse galloped toward
Gwaine. Gwaine drew his sword and braced himself for battle.

     "Well met, Sir Gwaine," the knight said as brought his horse to a stop several feet from
Gwaine. "I am glad to see that you accepted my challenge. I knew a village of helpless
females would get you to come."

     "Let's stop the chit-chat and get to the fighting," Gwaine said in an angry voice. "The
sooner I beat you, the sooner  these ladies go free and I can return to Camelot. How do
we decide the victor?"

     "It is a fight to the death," the other knight replied. "I can wait and let you rest from
your long journey, if you like. I wouldn't want people believing I won because you were
tired. That would be unknightly of me."

     "I am perfectly rested," Gwaine replied. "If I win how can I be sure your men won't
attack me? And that they will leave the village without harming the women?"

     "I have already sent most of my men home," the knight answered. "Check the village.
I only have two men left guarding the children. I have found women will do anything you
want them to if you have their children."

     Gwaine searched the village and found the knight to be true to his word. He made his
way back to the Knight of Darkness and gestured that he was ready. The black-clad
knight dismounted and the fight was joined. The battle raged back and forth for hours.
First Gwaine had the upper hand, but with a mighty blow of his mace,the Knight of
Darkness sent him flying backwards, Nimbly, Gwaine regained his footing, raining blow
after blow on his opponant. Gradually, he drove him backwards toward the cliff. With
one final blow, the Knight of Darkness toppled over the cliff, landing with a sickening
thud on the valley floor. His scream still echoed in the air as his knights came running.
Glancing over the cliff, they saw their leader lying motionless at the bottom. They threw
themselves at Gwaine's feet and kissed his hands in gratitude.

     "Thank you," they exclaimed. "A thousand thank yous, Sir Gwaine. We have been
under that evil man's spell for the last ten years. He would go from land to land, seeking
out thier best knight and challenging him to a duel. He would always capture a poor
village or town to lure them to fight. Nobody has ever beaten him. And we would always
have to slaughter the people. His spell made us do many things we never would have done
otherwise. Horrible things. Cruel things. You have freed us. Thank you!"

     "Thank you," the leader of the seven women said as she come to satnd beside Gwaine.
"You have kept your word and we will give you anything you ask for. Follow me and I
will take you to my sister. She is the leader while the men are away."

     She lead Gwaine to a tiny shack in the middle of the village. Knocking on the door, she
motioned from Gwaine to stand to the side. The door opened and a woman of incomparible
beauty stepped out. Her long hair flowed like a river down her back. The sunlight made her
hair glow, framing her face in a halo of light. Her eyes danced with warmth and wit. Gwaine
felt like he was in the presence of an angel. His heart raced and felt as if his tongue was numb.

     "They call me Cupid," Gwaine's angel said in a musical voice. "I have been told that you
saved us." Gwaine nodded, unable to speak. She laughed and it was like water flowing over
rocks in a stream. "Please come in. We have much to discuss. Your reward? We do not
have much but I'm sure we can find some way to pay you for your kindness."

     Gwaine followed numbly behind her. All he wanted at the moment was to be near her.
That was all the reward he needed. He doubted he'd be getting back to Camelot very soon.
Hopefully, Merlin would come up with a good excuse. He was good at those type of things.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment