Monday, February 27, 2012

My Flaws Are Part of Me

I am not perfect. Far from perfect to tell the truth. I will never be called beautiful. At most,
I consider myself cute. But I'm ok with that. It took a long time to get here, but finally I am
comfortable with the way I look. First of all, I am 4 foot 8 inches tall. That is pretty short.
Needless to say, I will never be a model. I wear glasses because contact lenses and I do
not get along. There are numerous things that I can find wrong with my body. However, I
have come to terms with my so-called flaws. I won't lie and say I wouldn't like a few more
inches. That is not going to happen. So I have learned to embrace my uniqueness.

But my flaws are not all physical. I have quite a few traits that I don't like. First up, my
low self-confidence. It works against me in so many ways. I never think I am good
enough. As soon as do something and can't change it, I see things I should have done
differently. I'll say something and instantly kick myself for saying it. There are so many
things I wish I had done but I didn't because I didn't think I was good enough. I am
getting better at believing in myself. Having friends that push me helps. they don't force
me to do things, they just don't let me chicken out.

Secondly, there is my shyness. I am painfully shy around people I don't know. I get
tongue-tied and my brain freezes. Meeting a new group of people for the first time is
agony for me. I just want to run and hide. But with each day, I make more of an effort
to reach out and meet new people. By opening up, I have made some wonderful
friends.

There are many more flaws that I could list. My stubbornness, my temper, my bad
spelling, my lack of tact, my cluelessness and so on. Some I'm working on and some
I doubt I can ever fix. There will always be times I stick my foot in my mouth. And
I am so grateful for spell-check. But all of these things are a part of me. Combined,
they make me the special person I am. So I'm not perfect and never will be. Perfect
is boring and too much work. I would rather stand out for being me than to try to
fit some one's idea of perfect. Keep your air-brushed visions of perfection. I choose
to be me, flaws and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment